EMPLOYMENT TO CYPRUS COMPANIES
CRITERIA FOR EMPLOYMENT OF Non-EU NATIONALS
A basic precondition for the granting of permit for employment of foreign workers is the absence of prospects to meet the specific needs of the employer by local force (Cypriot or European citizens), which will be ascertained following an investigation of the competent service of the Ministry of Labour & Social Insurance.
More specifically the Criteria for granting of approval for work permit, as these continue to be in force since 1991, are the following:
- Non-availability of suitably qualified local personnel; in order to satisfy the specific needs of the employers
- Saving and better utilization of the local labour force.
- Improvement of working conditions at the workplace.
- Terms and conditions of employment of foreigners should be the same as those for Cypriots.
- In cases where working permits are recommended for the employment of foreigners with special skills and knowledge which Cypriots do not posse, the employer shall be obliged to name a Cypriot who will be trained during the period of the foreigner’s employment.
In the framework of formatting a strategic plan for the employment of foreigners in Cyprus, there has been an effort to adopt more rational and objective criteria that correlate directly with the real developing needs of the economy and reflect the E.U accession prospects.