A trademark is a distinctive sign which identifies certain goods or services as those produced or provided by a specific person or enterprise. Its origin dates back to ancient times, when craftsmen reproduced their signatures, or “marks” on their artistic or utilitarian products. Over the years these marks evolved into today’s system of trademark registration and protection. The system helps consumers identify and purchase a product or service because its nature and quality, indicated by its unique trademark, meets their needs”.
Trademark Registration Procedure
An application must be filed with the Cyprus Patent Office providing the following details:
- Name and/or depiction of the mark.
- The class (When registering a trademark, the Trademark Office requires the applicant to define the classification of their goods and services. The majority of countries in the world have adopted the International Classification of Nice which groups all products and services into 45 classes: 34 for products and 11 for services).
- Description of the mark.
- Products or services the mark covers.
- Applicant’s name and address.
Once the application is filed, the application is examined by the Registrar. Should there be no complications, the mark is registered and a certificate will be issued. If, however, there are complications and objections by the Registrar, they may be refuted with a “considered reply”. The applicant argues his views in the considered reply, with scope to convince the Registrar to withdraw his objections and have the mark accepted.
Once the mark is accepted, it is published in the Official Gazette.
Trademarks are registered for an initial period of seven years. After this period, the trademarks must be renewed every fourteen years.
Our Intellectual Property department is specialized in the following areas:
- Filing application forms for registration, renewals for trademarks and designs nationally [Cyprus & Greece] or Community TM via EUIPO or International registration via WIPO (Madrid Protocol);
- Extensive research on possible future trademarks (national/international): Recommendation for application;
- Preparation of filling of trademarks and designs;
- Consultation regarding brand protection;
- Trademark watching (yearly service);
Assistance and representation of infringements proceedings of trademarks and designs through third parties.
Report that includes the search and analysis of the registration probabilities of a trademark. The report is optional but highly recommended.
Filing the trademark application before the Trademark Office of the country or organization where seeking to register the trademark.
Registration Certificate: Issuance of the trademark registration certificate and forwarding the documentation to the client. A report with the trademark registration details is included.
- Online tracking of the registration process
- Legal Support in case of objections
- Trademark watch service
- Reminder of relevant dates